Breaking News: Former Eagles OC Marty Mornhinweg named Jets new offensive coordinator, but first, a list of all those candidates he beat out.
Last week we looked at all the possible General Managers the Jets could hire. That still has not been completed*,
but since the offensive coordinator position is also still up for grabs, here is a list of every rumored OC possibility the Jets may have considered.
So let’s see how many of these there were:
1. Former Chargers Head Coach (and current Browns OC) Norv Turner
2. Bengals Secondary Coach Hue Jackson
3. Former Cleveland Browns Head Coach Pat Shurmur
4. Former Ravens Offensive Coordinator Cam Cameron
5. Saints Quarterback Coach Joe Lombardi
6. Stanford “Andrew Luck Director of Offense” Pep Hamilton
7. Buccaneers Senior Offensive Assistant Jimmy Raye
8. Former Jaguars Head Coach Mike Mularkey
9. Former Eagles Offensive Coordinator Marty Mornhinweg
According to CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora, the Jets have hired Seahawks executive, John Idzik as their new General Manager.
Update II: According to Adam Caplan, Marty Mornhinweg is the new OC for the Jets.
What does this mean?
1. The Ground and Pound is dead.
Mornhinweg is a West Coast offense guy. This is probably an offense most suitable for a possible Mark Sanchez resurgence, but it means the Jets will be thrust into the modern age with a current-type offense.
2. Michael Vick rumors will start.
Mornhinweg was Vick’s OC with the Eagles and Vick has been linked to the Jets by several writers guessing by connecting the dots at the end of the season.
Despite this thought (which I hate), Caplan continues to say Vick is unlikely because they would have to install a run-option offense, which is not probable considering Rex Ryan’s history.
So with the GM and OC positions filled, maybe we can start a QB coach list as well…with this guy at the front of the list: