New York Knicks guard J.R. Smith won the NBA’s Sixth Man Award today, topping the Los Angeles Clippers’ Jamal Crawford and The Golden State Warriors’ Jarrett Jack with 484 total points from the voting group of writers and broadcasters.
It was the topping on the cake of a breakthrough season for the former first round pick, accumulating 18.1 points per game, all off the bench, also averaging 5.3 rebounds and 2.7 assists.
But his season was not without highlights and enjoyable moments. Let’s take a look back at some of the fun moments of J.R. Smith during the 2012-2013 season.
– The first time we realized this may be a different season for Smith, it was when he put the team on his back in a game against the Suns, hitting a game tying shot and an insane game winner from the corner. Re-live it here!
– As the calendar turned, on January 3rd, Smith had what could have been the dunk of the year, converting a Pablo Prigioni pass to a wicked reverse alley-oop! See it again!
– In the midst of the fight that took place between Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Garnett during the “Honey Nut Cheerios” incident, J.R. Smith showed the maturity many, including his coach, Mike Woodson, had discussed at length before the season. Instead of getting involved in the fisticuffs, he jumped in the middle of the Knicks and Celtics and tried to break it up. Check it out!
– After getting physical with Kris Humphries during a January game that the Knicks lost to the Nets, J.R. Smith took it to Twitter to get some revenge. After a celebratory message from Hump, J.R. responded with a jab at the former’s ex-wife Kim Kardashian. See what he said!
– J.R. Smith took a ride down a bouncy slide…um…not much more to add to that. LOOK!
– An early February game vs. the Pistons led to a look from Coach Woodson everyone would enjoy. Smith air-balled a free throw prior to halftime and Woody could not maintain his disgust. Yielding his coaches ire, J.R. came right back and drained a 3, saluting the crowd. You can’t miss this!
– After halftime of that previously discussed game, Smith tried to come out of the locker room early and play some pick up with kids on the court. The results were enjoyable. Laugh at JR’s snub here!
– Our resident Madison Square Garden superhero got to hook up with some others at the 20th anniversary celebration of the Power Rangers at the Jacob Javits Center on February 11th. Morphin’…time to go to that story!
– As the winter started to go away and the flowers started to bloom, J.R. thought it would be time to deliver some dating advice. Find some eHarmonious advice here!
– Six words: You. Trying. To. Get. The. Pipe?
– And his response when the image went viral >HERE<
– And on the court again, J.R. Smith, and the real story of his redemption season, finally started going inside the paint with his shot selection. Once thought of as his Pandora’s Box, of sort, to finally complete his game, he was able to add this final piece to the puzzle most thought he had. Complete the journey!
And now who knows where he will go as we hit the playoffs…
One thing is for sure: the Sixth Man Award went to the right guy – a rightful topping on the cake of a great Knicks season!